Do you have a concern about your child's speech or language skills?  

Many parents have concerns about their child's speech and language development.  Here are the steps you can take to find out more information:
  • Talk to your child's teacher.  They will know if your child is on-track developmentally and if his or her communication skills are age-appropriate.  They will also have insight into how your child's communication skills interact with the academic environment.
  • If you continue to have concerns regarding communication skills in the classroom, your child's teacher may refer you to the district's speech-language pathologist (SLP).  
  • The SLP may develop a parent or teacher led intervention plan if delays are detected.  An evaluation is required in order to determine if your child qualifies for speech services through special education.
  • You may contact the SLP with any additional specific questions.